Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Day 2: God and Taxes

So where do we find the God part while doing taxes? I woke up this morning and while driving to my first appointment, I was thrilled with the idea of life, the vibration that is all life, the vibration that runs through all of matter and beyond. When I got home, I felt a bit overwhelmed with the mundane of life's tasks - yes, a little judgement starting to creep in - and decided to find the God and the fun in taxes. At 2pm I decided that at 3 pm I would stop so i could move on to other things. But 3 pm came and went without even a thought. Was i in the zone? Maybe. At 4pm I looked at the clock and knew that i had past my time limit. Here's where it gets good. Do I stop, and move on to the "more creative" part of my day, or do I continue, now that my head is totally wrapped around numbers, receipts, finding files, reconciling checkbooks, etc...

I kept going. Until now. As the doctor would say "time of death -- 6:18."  This is not to say that death and taxes go hand in hand, even though they are found together in certain adages. The upside is, I just have a few things left to do to complete my share of this numbers game. The downside is, I don't have the time I had carved out in my mind to do other things. And I still need to clean up all the paper that surrounds me.

The question is, what serves the Whole and my Self more? Completing a task like taxes? or keeping a balance, a designated time to more evenly use this thing called time? I know my tendency is to want to "complete." I like a to-do list. I like to check stuff off. I'm even one to add things to the list and check them off even if it's in the middle of the day. I like to feel productive. When I feel productive, part of me feels worthy, relevant. The thing is, nothing is ever complete. Even the taxes, because there is getting ready for next year - the writing down the mileage so it's easier to calculate next year (i've been trying to do this for years and haven't seemed to have the where-with-all to check the odometer on Jan 1. I mean, how hard is that???) Setting up accounts and categories so it's all in the click of a button - ideally I will run the perfect report that will answer all my questions. Massage the data while it's still fresh. Yes, that's the way.

Or is it? Because it will never end. There will always be something. Just like life. We never get it done. I think that's the God part. It's all eternal, even the stuff we perceive as finite here on earth, because our minds have the capacity to keep going. The game is over, we won or we lost. But it's not over because we keep re-playing it in our minds. It's like we are our own DVR, recording and playing back our life ad nauseum. Maybe that's why reality shows give us a break. Instead of replaying our life over and over again, we get to step outside of ourselves and watch someone else's.

So dear God, I have gathered the taxes, the numbers, the documentation to the best of my ability. I'll put everything in some envelopes, labeled and ready to store. Am i ready to close the file on 2010? Yes. For now....

6:32 - still time to play my guitar if i start now

:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment