Monday, November 26, 2012

Cleaning

Cleaning. How important is it? Think about it. This is a great time of year to clean. Get the house ready for guests. Our with the old, in with the new. And someone's got to clean up after a busy day of baking! Not to mention the non-physical aspect of cleaning. We "clean up our acts" trying to be a little nicer, a litte more honest, to listen a little better. We clean out the skeletons in our psychic closets so we can hang with family without having to go to the looney bin afterwards.

But where does it end? There's nothing like a good scrub down, that's for sure. Last Sunday I got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed our floors. It may sound archaic, but that's how my momma taught me, and it still cleans the most thoroughly. And another thing she taught me, is that there will always be something else to clean. always. But when does a healthy dose of cleaning turn into a distraction or an excuse for taking care of other needs or following other paths of fulfillment? i was raised on the premise that I couldn't have fun, or do something for myself (aka listen to my inner voice) until all the work was done. It didn't take too long to figure our that the work would never be done. Now a big realization like that could have set me free. Since there would always be something on the cleaning list, why not take a few minutes or even a decadent hour to do something that wasn't cleaning? Something less calculated? Something more in the present moment? Something that might even be messy? hmmmm. Make a mess of my own to clean up. Since ill be cleaning anyway..

Cleaning. I do love a clean house, but is that preference an attachment that keeps me in a state if fear that if it gets messy, i'll have to clean again? Not to worry. Cuz there will always be something left to clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment