Monday, September 10, 2012

Books

I love to buy books. I love to think that I'm going to read those books. I like to think that by reading those books, I'm going to be the master, the owner of the knowledge inside those books. But let's face it. I'm not that person. I like to read novels. I like to read novels because I like to feel inside the imagination of a writer. When it comes to book learnin,' I like to feel the information too. So unless it's opening my mind, or expanding my point of view, I'm not that interested. I don't care about being able to quote the geniuses enough to memorize quotes. And when I do memorize a quote of a genius, like yoga sutra 2:48, then it has a relevance to me and life that is worth memorizing.

Some may call me shallow. I thought people thought I was shallow because of my relationship to reading "facts." I liked thinking better than reading, and in my eyes, I wasn't shallow. Just different. Paddling upstream at times, but now I'm fine with the current. I'm fine with sticking my neck out on a limb, pontificating without obvious backup of a book or expert. That has been my path. I might as well embrace it. Or start reading... Or surround myself with really smart, book-learned friends. Or something else I haven't thought of yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment