Thursday, November 10, 2016

Politically Correct?

Politically correct? Possible oxymoron here.

Maybe the election was a partially a backlash and reaction to all of our increased "political correct-ness." Maybe it's time to be less concerned with being "politically correct," and take the politics out of "correctness." In the yoga sutras of patanjali, there is extensive discussion around "right knowledge" vs "wrong knowledge." This is NOT about emotionally charged judgement calls of good/bad, right/wrong, hero/villain. "Right knowledge" simply means that a being remembers who they really are, that they are Wholeness and they feel a state of equanimity. "Wrong knowledge" means they forgot those points and are identifying with their ego, personality, job title, and other qualifying markers based on comparison. If we move into being simply "correct" in our thinking, aka "right knowledge," instead of being "politically correct" we may shift our focus from "trying to get it right because we don't understand," to actually understanding because we have embraced and experienced, or at least believe and recognize that we are Wholeness, and the result of that is that we recognize it in others.

Politics is not the boss of me. Politics is not about seeing each other as Whole and divine. Politics has been about separation, territory, greater than/less than, good/evil. When I look at it that way, there is nothing "correct" about politics, so why should I spend my energy being politically correct? Especially when I look through the current lens of politics today.

I'm not saying get rid of politics and that politics sucks. I'm not making politics wrong. I'm just saying it is not the basis of how I see myself, others, our nation, and the world. I'm going with patanjali on this one. "Patanjali correctness?" Hmmmm...  Kind of rolls off the tongue....

No comments:

Post a Comment