Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Innocent or Guilty Pleasures

I have a body. I live in a body. I'm around a lot of bodies. I hear people talking about their bodies. I've talked about my body.

What is this "body?"

I realized the other day that the body is an innocent. It doesn't do anything wrong. In fact, all it does all day and night is keep going to lug our consciousness around. Just when I thought my consciousness was lugging my body around all day, it flipped on me. And so it goes.

These things we call "guilty pleasures." My body doesn't have a guilty pleasure. It's my mind that experiences guilt and pleasure. My body is innocent. All that it is, started with my decisions.

It is not my body's fault that it is older and that it might be wearing out. It is me who used it and wore it out. If it's toxic or fat,  it's not my body's fault - it didn't drink a fifth of Jack Daniels or eat a whole cake. Just like an appliance, a car, a house, we use our bodies. Our bodies are innocent. They did nothing wrong. All they do is try to help us, carry us, and they try to find balance (homeostasis) no matter what we do while we are living in it.

So, is my house clean? Does my car need a tune up? What do i need to do in order to live more comfortably in the house of My Body? For starters, get off my own back and stop judging that which loves and serves me unconditionally. If I can't see that my body does that for me, then I need to start there...  Start at home. Home is where the heart is. And your heart is in your body.


No comments:

Post a Comment