Monday, July 2, 2012

picky eater

I'm a picky eater. I just realized it yesterday. Now those of you who know me, might have already figured this out, but to me, it was a shock! I used to pride myself in being able and willing to eat just about anything! I just got back from Phoenix, and I couldn't wait to get out of the land of really bad food. What's interesting, is that there was very little that tasted good, or was even worth eating. Dont get me wrong, I ate it. I already felt like a privileged wine snob, and to add food on top of it, well, i just didn't want to go down that road -- yet...

When did this happen? Is it because my tastes have gotten so "refined?" Is it because i'm sooooooo evolved that I can only eat natural, organic, Whole Foods? eeeeek! I'm one of those!

This is what concerns me. It would be one thing if I just didn't like it. It's another thing when it actually grosses me out. When I can taste the plastic. Not that there is anything wrong with eating plastic. Or chemicals. If everything is God, then what's the problem?

The question is, am I judging the food I don't like the taste of? Do I think of it as "not healthy?" "Lacking in nutritional value?" or the biggie -- "lacking in PRANA???" Or is it merely a taste buds thing. Or maybe my bloodstream doesn't want another TV dinner or can of soup.

I really worked on this food thing for many years, and then I got back into YOGA, where there appears to be a culture that preaches a "right" way to eat. Over time, I bought into it. Those judgements snuck in. All those years of work. So where am i? Making kale from my yard, that's where. And even though it tastes pretty dang good, especially when compared to Pei Wei take out, I still like a good dessert and given the choice between kale and a brownie, well, no contest. And regardless of my food choices, it's time to pay closer attention to my ideas of "bad" and "good" food, because I've been down that road, and let me tell you, it's not pretty...  I just don't want to give food that much power over my health and my state of mind. Who's the master? Me or Food?

Moral of this story - Don't let your yoga get in the way of your non-judgement. Otherwise, it's just another attachment and set of concepts we will eventually need to let go of. So eat plastic or chemicals if you like them. Or not. But whatever you put in your mouth, acknowledge it for giving it's life up so you can live. Even a bacteria. Or a chemical.

No comments:

Post a Comment