Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Part 4: Re-aligning Our Teaching


If “one size fits all,” show it to me.  

In this almost final part of this rant on the pitfalls of the current definition of “perfect alignment,” I turn to us, the teachers. Are the same perfect alignment cues given to Tom appropriate for Mary? If we say yes, then you haven’t looked at a cadaver.  If you said no, then I’m preaching to the choir. Then why are we so hell bent on rattling off the current set of alignment cues? Maybe there is something deeper going on…  In the name of proper alignment, are we exercising some sort of power and control over our students? And if so why? Unless we’re teaching children, everyone in the room is a capable adult who did just fine before they stepped into our classroom.

I’m going to pose one more set of questions for teachers to consider, some of which may seem obvious to some, blasphemous to others, offensive to many, idiotic to any.

  1. Am I trying to control my student’s behavior in and maybe even outside of class? If so, why?
  2. What makes me frustrated or uncomfortable as a teacher regarding my student’s behavior?
  3. Am I still worried about “getting it right” as far as my practice and teaching goes?
  4. How did I empower my students today?
  5. Am I afraid they might know more than me? If so, how do I react, both internally and externally?

If we are going to ask our students to look at themselves and make changes whether it be to their lifestyle or to their alignment, hopefully we are willing and able to do the same, not only in our lives on the mat, off the mat, and in the classroom. 

In summary, I invite us all to acknowledge the here and now of our students, taking into consideration age, experience, part of the country, etc…  and to do our best to give them what they need, while still considering what they want.

And if, dear reader, you will indulge me, there is one more entry to come on what I’m now calling “The Alignment Chronic-cles.”  Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment