Saturday, May 28, 2011

A Blue Bird and a Cactus


So here is my moment of inspiration:

How can a blue bird sit on top of a cactus? Lightness.

Non-judgment. Sensation vs Pain. Will that bird ever truly suffer? If it could, it would mean that the bird would have to have an opinion, a judgment regarding the source of the pain. It goes back to the Buddha example: 1 arrow, 10,000 arrows. The Buddha gets hit with an arrow. He feels sensation. The sensation goes away. That’s it. We get hit with an arrow, we get sensation, then we start getting angry or scared about what happened, Pain sets in. Then we get more angry – at them for shooting it and hitting me, and at myself for getting in the arrow’s way. “(“if only I would have gone to the store instead of I wouldn’t be here, hit by this arrow, which will probably  leave a scar, or worse, damage my precious hamstring muscle,  which means my forward bends will really suck and every time I bend forward to touch my toes I’ll be reminded of the ignoramus who shot me with an arrow”).

Sigh.

If the Buddha has no pain, just sensation, then wouldn’t the bird? Unless birds can judge. Unless birds have the capacity to blame. Unless birds are as smart as we are. Then all bets are off. Which leads me to the original question:  How can a blue bird sit on top of a cactus?

Lightness.

No comments:

Post a Comment