Thursday, April 4, 2013

The Importance of a Name

It's been said in the business world, often times, if you want to make someone feel acknowledged and more appreciated, thus happier in their job, change their title. Yes. It really works.

and when i look at blog posts, i realize the importance of a title. think about it. people read titles that interest them. myself included. How can you get people to eat the weirdest parts of animals, or common weeds that you dig up from your lawn on a restaurant menu? Give them a new title.

It's all in a name. A person named Edgar will probably have a completely different life in high school than a person named Forrest. No greater than or less than mind you, but definitely different. Moon Zappa. What if her name had been Ashley?

Would I have been more popular if I would have been named something else? I remember when my mom was pregnant with my youngest sister. We talked about names. Sue was the coolest name in my opinion, so I rallied heavily for Susan, so she would have a leg up on all the other girls her age, in her class. Even at age 8, I recognized the power of a name.

So when we name ourselves, when we give ourselves identities, make sure we want the whole of what that means. Because in this world of duality and ego-identification, the importance of a name, a title, an identity, can make a big difference.

in the world of non-duality, it makes no difference whatsoever, even though our ego-identity tries to convince our Self that it matters. So have fun with the costume of a name. But remember that who you really are is that which cannot be named.

No comments:

Post a Comment