Saturday, March 9, 2013

Life is a dance

And everything is beautiful at the ballet.

After indulging in quoting Steve Seskin, followed by A Chorus Line, I'm ready to blog.

I went to the ballet tonight. It was awesome. I really liked 2 out of the 3 dances. And what was interesting was that I didn't read any program notes. The result: I loved it more! The Rite of Spring , SF Ballet's version, was the heavy hitter on the bill tonight, and it was awesome! Afterwards, I went back and looked at the program. Had I read it prior to watching, I might have felt differently about the dance. Left to my own imagination, devices, instinct, gut feelings, I was thoroughly satisfied and exuberant with Yuri's choreography. Had I read the program, maybe not so much.

Setting up that expectation is a fine line. On one hand, it can help the person heighten their experience by giving them some background. Take Shakespeare for example. I really need to know whats going on before i get there, or i'm out to lunch. On the other and, it can get in the way of someone having a more "pure" experience.

I don't have the answer or the formula for drawing that line, but I know it exists. And maybe that's the answer. The line is there, and if we are lucky enough to be on the side of it that will help us have a more amazing experience, chalk it up to the yay" factor and celebrate!

No comments:

Post a Comment