Friday, March 2, 2018

Age of Reason: Part 2 - The Need to Know Basis

Many of us seem to operate on a "need to know basis." This can show up in a various ways:

1) "I NEED you to know what I'm talking about."  "I Need you to know what I'm thinking about."  Really? What if they don't know? Will something extreme and irreversible happen? What will happen to me if you don't know what I need you to know? Do I need you to know so I don't have to deal with some person, place, or thing?

2) "I'll tell you when you I think you need to know." As if it's up to me to decide when someone needs to know something. As if I'm the orchestrator of the Universe and I'm the one handing out Knowledge Cards. I'm not saying that we should be sharing everything we know in every moment. And yes, as a teacher, we structure classes according to "adhikara" which can be translated as "need to know" and we create a learning arc so the info can be more easily digested. Am I structuring, or am I just withholding?

3) And then there is the part of us that just "needs to know" because we feel incomplete or inadequate without the book learning part, the logic part, the tangible and linear part. And do we "need to know" because we are collecting evidence to prove something right or wrong in the future? Or do we "need to know" because we are afraid there is a pop quiz coming?

more food for thought in case you get hungry...

No comments:

Post a Comment