Sunday, April 6, 2014

Presence

Yesterday, after what was probably an hour or so of a breathing exercise, Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen said "So for the next 20 minutes, explore being present." Or something like that. I was on my back, covered up with layers and a blanket because the room was cold. About as invisible as a person could be, and she was asking us to look at being present. I asked myself - from my vantage point, what does that even mean? And then, do I even WANT to be present? And what kind of presence are we talking about? Can I be present in my inner life without sacrificing my outer life and vice versa? What was this thing called presence?

Did i have to DO something? Or was it about being?

I don't have answers. But I do know that the interesting question was asking myself if I even wanted to be present in that moment. What does "being present" entail? And what made me think it was something that would entail a lot of work?

That question is still present. Even if I'm not. Or maybe I am.
Hmmmm....

No comments:

Post a Comment