Thursday, November 14, 2013

Distraction Extraction

(note: there will be references to the previous blog, so if you feel lost, distract yourself and check out yesterday's post)

So I now choose door number 2 - eliminate the distraction.

We try to get rid of that which distracts us in a number of ways. Whether we get up and turn off the radio, change our breathing, count to 10, leave the room, clean the house, the distraction really hasn't gone anywhere. After the radio, there will still be another noise. Our breath will change again. 10 only lasts for the count of 10. And the house will get dirty again. So we really never eliminate anything if you think about it. Even people. When someone leaves us, or even dies, don't you notice that there is another personality to come in and push all the right buttons?

So when we set out to eliminate the distractions, it seems to really work. But haven't we just distracted ourselves from the distractions? This is not a bad thing btw. It's  a good tool to have. It can help us get off a thought train, a hamster wheel.

It takes me back to door number 3 - if I can start loving, embracing, welcoming, accepting distractions as part of my reality, I may experience them in a different way. And instead of using distraction replacement therapy, I can start relationship counseling with my Self and my Distractions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment