Saturday, April 7, 2012

Like

"like" me. On Facebook. Comment. Twitter. What is this "like" me phenomenon? All through K-12 and beyond I wanted to be liked. Now all I have to do is find a cool quote, link, cartoon, picture, or even actually write something from my own little self, put it up on the anonymous public format of facebook and wait for someone to "like" me. Then what? I feel acknowledged? Appreciated? A part of something? Whatever it is, I'm not invisible, even though nobody even needs to know my real name, age, or gender, much less my real opinions about anything. So am I really "liked"or is it my alter ego? And since we are asking the question, how is this any different from my pre-Facebook K-12 experience? The names have changed, but it's still the same. We want to be loved. Acknowledged. Feel like we a a part of something.

So it brings us back to the age-old issue of self-love. Do we love ourselves unconditionally no mastter what? Can we appreciate ourselves no matter what? Can we feel a part of our life experience no matter what? And can we just lighten up and live the life we are here to live without needing to be "liked?"

Good question. I'm waiting for an even better answer. Like...

1 comment:

  1. Nice post. What if your post was liked by ppl you don't really care if they like it or no? What is this " friend" on Facebook business anyway?

    Facebook is a tool for you to broadcast yourself.. Anyone that wanted to get more out of it is deemed to be disappointed. What are the impact of your postings? What does it matter?

    Miss you!
    Lillian

    ReplyDelete