Sunday, February 5, 2012

Thank you

Today I had the great fortune and opportunity to re-connect with a teacher who is right up there in the category of "one who has helped shape me." Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen. I worked with her fresh out of college as I was embarking on a path of dance, self discovery, self healing, and the quest for self understanding. She influenced all of them. She pioneered the field of what is now known as "somatics," and back then, we were just a bunch of people rolling around on the floor trying to breathe from our cells. Today I got to roll around on the floor and get back into that mind, as she reminded us that as far as the body is concerned, it already knows what to do. We just need to get "under the patterns" and back to that pure state of equilibrium, of effortlessness. She provides a space of non-judgment so we can explore and remember. She holds the space as we reconnect with parts of ourselves that we have forgotten.

I have been blessed and have had the opportunity to study with masters, and she is one of them. If I could provide for others even a fraction of what she gave me, from that place of selfless grace, that would be awesome.

So to Bonnie, and all my teachers, thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment