Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Yoga asana

Yoga asana- the physical aspect of yoga. Yes, it's all the rage. And yes, it is probably over-emphasized, but I remember when it was the only thing I could do to get out of the hamster wheel of negative thinking that was my mind. When I could put my attention somewhere else, instead of criticizing myself and others or life in general, I would emerge from a yoga practice feeling lighter in my body, and that helped me change my attitude, or at least give me a chance to feel like something else was possible. I felt better in my body, better in my self, and as a result, better in the world. I used my body to help change my mind. (Perhaps that's what people are trying to accomplish with plastic surgery.) but at some point I decided I wanted to feel that way all the time, not just after a yoga practice. That's when it started to get interesting. And the effects became longer lasting. The path of Self inquiry and Self discovery became the yoga practice. Yes, I still practice asana for various reasons which I will keep to myself for now, but someone asked me if I could give up yoga. Yoga asana? Yes. Self discovery? Never. Because what else are we here for?

No comments:

Post a Comment