Wednesday, April 22, 2020

The Loudest Voice While Sheltering in Place

As a Screen Actors Guild member, once a year I get to vote on the actors who are nominated for the Screen Actors Guild Award in January. This means, that if I haven't been keeping up with film or TV, come awards season (screeners start going out mid-late December), I have a LOT of viewing to do if I'm going to vote fairly.

This year, the amount of great work was overwhelming. I wanted to vote for so many great performances! In most cases, there was no clear winner.

What makes for a clear winner?

Is the winner the loudest voice? The most inspiring voice? The most truthful voice? The small silent voice? Judges, mark your ballots...

One of the mini-series' that I saw that "left a mark" for me was the 7 part Showtime series, "The Loudest Voice" (starring Russell Crowe as Roger Ailes),  based on the book "The Loudest Voice in the Room: How the Brilliant, Bombastic Roger Ailes built Fox News - and Divided a Country."

If you are a person who keeps up to speed on current events, and who knows how Fox News came to be the #1 watched "news" station, then this might be redundant information. For me, the information, even if inflated by 50% show biz (which I don't' know if it was),  "The Loudest Voice" was, well, loud.

I started thinking about my voice, a voice in a sea of voices, singing, preaching, dancing, banging away to see if what I'm doing can turn a few heads and get a few people to listen to the MESSAGE I have to share. Do I want to be the LOUDEST voice? Do I NEED to be the loudest voice? What is my VOICE? What is the voice that's right for me?

In these days of people, places, and things banging away, clamoring away for everyone's sheltering in place attention, a shelter that could be a refuge, a haven, a cave, a place of quietude, how addicted to noise are we? How many loud voices do we want or need? Do these loud voices drown out the internal loud voices of our own minds? And is that what we are seeking? Are we creating a shield of noise to keep us from dealing with our Selves?

We are given an opportunity to turn down the volume of external noise - whether its in the form of physical interaction, vibrations, thought forms, less cars on the road, less people on the street, less planes in the air, to name a few. Are we giving ourselves this unique and rare opportunity to TURN DOWN THE VOLUME of opinion news, hyperbole, fear tactics, FOMO, or whatever else we can't seem to turn off?

Where is that small, still voice inside? Can we hear it? Can we hear our own internal voice of Truth, or at least make room for it? Because that voice doesn't shout to be heard. That voice, that ever-present voice, that ever-present guiding, encouraging, unconditionally loving voice is always there. If we choose to let it be drowned out by "noise," then so be it. The voice won't shout, but your life might. It might just feel so dang overwhelming, or chaotic, or hopeless, or painful that you have nowhere else to go because none of the noise will work. (If it works, it's not noise, btw).

I don't want to feel like I have to be the Loudest Voice in the Room. Or on Social. Or even in my own house. I have a really loud voice when I want to use it. And I'm not afraid to use it. But if I can't hear my small still voice within, that's a really good time for me to shut up.

I vote for the small still voice of Truth within. That is the clear winner for me. Without that voice, the other voices I use are just noise.

No comments:

Post a Comment