Tuesday, April 21, 2020

New Greetings courtesy of COVID-19 - "Be Safe Out There!"

Being in the yoga world, there are so many discussions around “safety.” At one point teachers were told that it was their job to “keep their students safe” meaning keeping them “safe” in the pose. Years ago I blogged about the concept and expectation around the word “safety.” When I looked back to find the links to the blog, I realized that I only published one version. So on 4-21-2020 I published the other one. You can read them both here if you like:



So clearly, this idea of “safety” has been a topic of exploration for me for quite some time. I think because when we start to feed and encourage “safety” we are also feeding the concept of “danger” (which is why we are concerned with safety in the first place) and in doing so, we feed the beast of “fear.” 

Yuk.

So how do we, meaning me right now, address the idea of “safety” as a concept that keeps “danger” and “fear” alive, with respect and compassion for people, places, and things that live in clear and present dangers? Are we willing, for a moment, to untangle ourselves from physical, mental, and emotional realities of the physical plane to explore a Bigger Picture, and in exploring a BP,  is it possible to diffuse some of the charge from the “fear and present danger?” Isn’t that why we have a spiritual life and point of view? To remind us that we are not all that we seem and that there are more ways to look at a scenario than from through the lens of staying safe?

I mean, take Jesus for example. He knew he was going to be crucified. I’m thinking that would be a reason to be afraid. And yet, as the story goes, the dude was pretty dang fearless. Human. And without fear. And I’m thinking it’s because he had a pretty strong spiritual connection to his Dad and Mom, both hefty spiritual hitters. Aren’t we also children of God? Is it possible that we have just forgotten that all this connection and fearlessness is ours as well? And it doesn’t mean life won’t hurt. It just won't have the sting and stank of fear to intensify the sensations. 

Getting back to the topic and title “Be Safe Out There”

What does that imply- "be safe out there?

Does it imply that there are dangers outside of ourself? 

Why don’t we think about “being safe IN there?” 

What is safety anyway?

To me, safety is Knowing your Self. The only safety we really have is knowing who we are and what we are doing here. And if we can make sense of that, (in other words, we know why we are here), that’s just a bonus. It doesn't really matter if we know Why. It may not even matter if we have the full scope and scoop of What (what we are doing here.) The big thing is knowing Who we are. 

When I know who I am, I know what I need. I know what I really need to survive and thrive. I know how to give it to myself. And I’m willing to give it to myself. This is not to say I’m an island in my own little world. I know myself enough to know my relationship to Other(s), to community, to World. I know where I “dont trust” and know that its me not trusting me to listen to the voice that says “dont go there right now” or the voice that says “ask that person for ____________”.

"Stay Safe - the Greeting"

Why did so many of us jump on the “stay safe out there” bandwagon? Perhaps it’s because our old greetings were so out of date and meaningless that we couldn’t wait to find something else, anything else, to more closely reflect what we wanted to say when saying hello or good bye or offering “words of wisdom” tag lines to our departures. What are we wishing each other when we say “stay safe out there?” Are we implying that there is danger? That there is something outside of ourselves that we need to protect ourselves from? That we could be hurt in some way by something or someone? Are we acknowledging that there is a lurking danger that we need to keep ourselves “safe” from?

What is it we really want to say? What are the actual words we want to offer the person we are leaving, because like it or not, they will most likely hear those words, and those words will linger and affect the consciousness of that person. Do we want to acknowledge that yes, it’s a big bad world out there and I want you to stay safe? Because there is a place for that acknowledgment. What was one of those old ones we used to say? “Have a nice day.” Do we want people to think about having a nice day? And maybe we still do, but the thrill is gone from that phrase, unless it is spoken from a place of present moment, authentically, from your heart. Then the person may actually hear the sentiment of those words as they reverberate, digest, and linger in their consciousness. When I sign my emails, I think deeply about my closing: Sincerely, Best Regards, Warmly, Peace, Peacefully, Love, Love All Ways, or it might be an emoticon because with a picture comes a feeling and perhaps its the feeling that I want to evoke the most. 

Even before the virus, people used to leave and say to me, “be safe.” I would reply “take risks” because I knew there was no clear and present danger to my life and “keeping myself safe” was keeping myself from questioning. Keeping myself “inside my box.” Keeping myself from responding from present moment, because to me, in those moments,  “safe” meant “familiar.” 

Right now, there is no familiar, so from that point of view, how can we “stay safe?” Staying “safe” doesn’t necessarily mean following rules. Maybe what I would want to say is “stay informed.” “Live responsibly.” “See a bigger picture today.” Instead of saying “have a nice day” to people, because frankly, some people I’ve been in contact are really melting down, and for me to suggest a “nice” day feels like a quantum leap. So to them I’ve been saying “have a better day” because for me, it’s about step by step. Can I love myself a little more? Can I have a better day? Can I judge a little less? 

I know many may think I live in an ivory tower (where did that phrase come from anyway?), and maybe I do. Maybe I used to live in hell, and brick by brick I built a new place to live for myself. And yes, I #acknowledge that everyone has their own timing. And I know that everyone is building and creating their own reality. And I’ve created, destroyed, and rebuilt mine numerous times. At one point I found teachings and Truths that worked for me. And they still work. And I’m still with them. And I’m open to Know a bigger picture that may blow my current Truths out of the water, or at least give them a run for their money. So when and if my current truths stop working, I’m sure that bigger truths will reveal themselves to me. But in the meantime, I’m not going to apologize for seeing things the way that I do. And yes, I’m compassionate and there is space inside of me and my reality for everyone to be doing what they need to do. 

So stay informed. Stay healthy. Stay clear. Stay open. Stay flexible. Stay resiliant. Stay loving. Stay You. 

1 comment:

  1. My take away for myself from your very poetic and beautifully shared thoughts...... I’m gonna try and be aware when I quip out an ending comment to friend, neighbor, loved one or stranger!

    So with that.....” Peace.....in mind!”

    ReplyDelete