Sunday, February 16, 2014

Awake and Asleep Part 3: Living the Dream

We are awake and and asleep simultaneously. So am I dreaming or am I fully here? Even in my waking state, I dream. I let my thoughts roam into the past or to the future. I miss the present moment because I'm somewhere else. I cant listen because I'm planning out how I'm going to answer. I can't see because I'm thinking about something else. I don't even know my shoulders are riding up to my ears as I drive or eat or type. I don't even know I have a scowl on my face while I'm thinking or listening to someone. I don't even know whether I'm really hungry or tired. I don't even know what I can do about it.

In present moment, we are awake. It's a pretty big place, present moment. The place where all things are possible. The place where miracles occur. It's overwhelming, wonderful, terrible. It's all of it. We start by moving closer to the target if present moment is the bullseye. We close in on it by listening better, becoming more conscious, knowing ourselves, being able to take in more information without cracking up or getting pulled off our center. We do yoga, meditate, go to therapy, exercise, find a hobby - all these things to help us focus our energy and our minds so we can build our capacity to get deeper into the belly of the beast of the present moment. Because when you are in present moment, there is no time. There is no time in the present, therefore there is no "time" like the present. 

No comments:

Post a Comment