Wednesday, December 21, 2016

From Mushrooms to Apples

Yes, yesterday was a day of opposites. "One side of the mushroom will make you grow taller. The other side will make you grow smaller." As I paraphrase Lewis Carroll, I point out that neither tall nor small is the right choice. There are times where small is more useful and there are times when tall is what is better for the situation. The important part of that is to know which one is needed in the present moment. So it's not about tall or small. It's about the size that's right for you in the moment.

So back to the pairs of opposites. And remember what Yoga Sutra 2:48 says (again paraphrasing) - the result of mastery of the physical is when opposites cease to have impact. In other words, we are not thrown off our center by positive/negative and other opposing points of view, etc... Opposites.

Back to the mushroom. So I had a 2 sided mushroom kind of day.

One side of the mushroom:
On one hand, my breakup from my former employment is going less smoothly than I hoped. But when a person commit to really learning, and I made that commitment to myself,  the Universe, aka your Big S Self, makes sure that you look at all the parts. And leaving isn't always the easiest solution. I wasn't expecting it to be easy. It wasn't. Deciding to move on took a lot of time and thought for me, because I am a Leo and really loyal. But last weekend, the trigger was pulled and the apple cart is tipped, and when that happens we have the opportunity to see what's in there. And we all have some apples that wouldn't make the State Fair. I'm not afraid of my non-State Fair apples. Those are the ones that will help me grow better apples. Or at least keep the cart from stinking.

This side of the mushroom made me grow ____________ (fill in the blank with taller or smaller. your choice. it's all the same to me)

The other side of the mushroom:
On the other hand, my mail-lady came to my door yesterday, as friendly as she always is and asked how I was (as she delivered a package containing a UNICORN POPPER!!!!! ) (YES I SAID THAT!!!). She asked how I was, and I answered, "Well, my back is hurting, but at least I can walk to the door today! I can't quite stand up straight though." She responded (I'm paraphrasing in spite of the quotes),"If you want, I have some remedies that really helped my husband. I'd bet happy to come by and put them on you tomorrow." I said "yes, come by anytime after 11."

And she did!!!  She came by, with some Chinese medicine patches which she heated up and then applied 4 of them to my back. This is the person who knows me by name and delivers the mail!!!! That's some great State Fair Apples!

This side of the mushroom made me grow ____________ (again, fill in the blank with taller or smaller. your choice)

So opposites in one day. Contention and Kindness. Both grew me. Both showed me how to grow more amazing apples. So eat the Whole mushroom. Unless you're allergic. Then find another metaphor. 

2 comments:

  1. Love it! Please take care, be well, heal soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm healing really quickly! Not pushing...

      Delete